Friday, June 8, 2007

THIRD WEEK (22 hours)


This week my boss and I met with the Pepsi rep and discussed our partnership in the World Series tournament such as signs, water coolers, and cup donations. During this meeting we also discussed our joint idea for Pepsi to connect with our Exxon gas stations where Pepsi’s coupons are to bring customers to the Exxon station and that station only. I then was given one of my favorite tasks. TO SHOP!!! We are putting gift bags together for out opening ceremonies. I was given a budget and got to shop for what would be in them. I made a very detailed spreadsheet with all possible items sectioned off into different groups. It was great and everyone loved my ideas. I'll get to present my ideas to our opening ceremony partners next week. The next day was:
meetings meetings meetings!!!! We first met with our CVA (Convention Visitors Association) then headed out of the office to meet with a field director to discuss last little operations for our father's day weekend tournament. Concessions was next on our list. It was brief but as my boss always tells me that just checking up (calls or stopping by) is great for a sport marketer. And while we really didn't need to stop in keeping that relationship is absolutely pertinent!!! Our next step was to our community's Civic Center, we work closely with their departments as we are pretty much just another branch. We stopped by there to meet with the complex manager to discuss the father's day weekend tournament. Instead of talking about field maintenance like we did with our field director we talked about site director logistics, making sure we had enough man power for all the fields and complexes we would be using. Once we returned back to the office I solicited an ad from a major car dealer in town. As well as enlisted Potomac food groups (Golden Corral and Burger King) as a sponsor and I communicated their ad with our marketing department. Solicitating the ad was definitely a great accomplishment but making that contact and beginning a relationship will be great for my department in the future as well as myself. The week continued as we followed up and met with a partner, optimist club, to see how they were doing with their ads. I learned that we have a special deal with them where they actually get a return from all the ad money they bring in. For all their close involvement we are giving them 10% of all they bring in. A great incentive and it really doesn't cost us anything. I then branched off to my office and worked closely with our director of marketing and public relations to make sure everything was secure advertisement designs such as Burger King/ Golden Corral. Andy and I then discussed all the signage we are receiving from Pepsi. Since we get to instruct what the signs will have on them we needed to come up with what they will say. They consisted of everything from welcome signs, directions, park rules, and opening ceremony signs. Just another detail that is not always thought off but yet very important. We ended week with a in house faculty meeting where Andy, my boss, had me present to the rest of the gang just how well we’ve been doing as well as talk to them about other possible sponsors we might not have thought of. A special bonus came at the end of the meeting when they then asked me to come on board for our county’s wine festival. Meetings for that start very soon. They also talked about possibly sending me with my boss to Salem, Va ( a major event management and sport marketing area) – past host of DIII softball world series - to research and get new ideas. I was very honored.

No comments: